HAT-TRICK hero Sam Newson inspired BRANTHAM ATHLETIC to an outstanding FA Cup victory at Felixstowe and Walton.

The Imps went goal crazy after romping to a 7-2 win in the extra preliminary round tie at the Goldstar Ground.

Ben Newson got the ball rolling, seizing on a miss-placed pass before driving home from 20 yards.

Jack Smith then made it two, rising to head home a perfect left-wing free-kick from Craig Hughes.

Sam Newson opened his account after great work down the left by Ed Nobbs and then he pounced for his second, from Hughes' corner.

That made it four at half-time and Brantham's fifth followed soon after the restart, when a slick passing move was finished by Nobbs.

Sam Newson brought up his hat-trick with a sweetly-struck half-volley from 25 yards.

Felixstowe pulled one back from the penalty spot before Sam Newson made it seven after turning home Hughes' free-kick.

The hosts then added their second but it failed to take the shine off an exceptional afternoon for Matt Carmichael and Michael Brothers' side, who had drawn their opening two Thurlow Nunn League matches.

Elsewhere, it was a very disappointing day for STANWAY ROVERS, WIVENHOE TOWN and FC CLACTON.

All three bowed out of the FA Cup.

Stanway's defeat - their third in three games so far this season - was a 4-2 reverse at home to Thurlow Nunn League rivals Gorleston.

After slipping 2-0 behind, Taylor Bannister pulled one back for Kem Izzet's side.

Gorleston extended their lead after the break but Bannister netted again to make it 3-2.

However, there was to be no way back and the visitors added a fourth to cement their place in the preliminary round.

Wivenhoe played their first match of the season and suffered a 3-1 defeat at Essex Senior League side Takeley.

The hosts took the lead after a low free-kick found its way into the corner of the net.

A clinical finish from a breakaway move then led to their second, prior to the half-time break.

A far-post header effectively killed the tie but Wivenhoe pulled one back from the penalty spot, after a foul on Ryan McGibbon.

Jack Charnock converted to open his account for the club.

Following Saturday's results, Wivenhoe will now be away to Fakenham Town in the Thurlow Nunn League on August 19, rather than away at Newmarket Town.

Clacton also bowed out at the extra preliminary round stage after losing 1-0 at home to Essex Senior League outfit Clapton.