IT was a weather-hit weekend for Essex's non-league football scene, with key matches called off in both the BetVictor Isthmian League and Thurlow Nunn League.

Last week's heavy rain caused havoc with the schedules and only a handful of matches took place.

In many others, waterlogged pitches led to early call-offs and among the casualties were the games involving Brightlingsea Regent, Stanway Rovers, Wivenhoe Town and Harwich and Parkeston, in addition to the contest between Little Oakley and Halstead Town.

One game of note that did beat the weather was at Braintree Town, where the Iron shared the spoils from an exciting six-goal thriller against Havant and Waterlooville, in Vanarama National League South.

Three of the goals came in the latter stages and it was Braintree with most to celebrate after grabbing a last-gasp equaliser in the 95th minute.

Alfie Cerulli put them ahead midway through the opening period but the visitors were on level terms by half-time, thanks to Craig Robson.

Josh Taylor put Havant ahead but there was plenty of late drama in store, starting with an 87th-minute equaliser from the Iron's Rhys Murrell-Williamson.

Alfie Rutherford thought he had scored a winner for the visitors, notching two minutes later.

But Braintree were not to be denied and hero Murrell-Williamson popped up with his side's equaliser deep in stoppage time - the final act of an absorbing contest at the Ironmongery Direct Stadium.

The Iron are tenth in the table and next up for them is their Boxing Day derby at Chelmsford City, followed by a home match against Concord Rangers next Saturday.

Elsewhere, Brightlingsea's Isthmian League premier division match at home to Bishop's Stortford was postponed, following a morning pitch inspection at the Taydal Stadium.

The same fate had befallen Friday's division north match between Tilbury and Maldon and Tiptree.

Heybridge Swifts, Coggeshall Town and Witham Town were not due to play on Saturday.

The Thurlow Nunn League premier division games between Stanway and Long Melford and Godmanchester Rovers and Brantham Athletic were called off on Friday.

FC Clacton's fixture at Walsham-le-Willows did go ahead but the Seasiders lost 5-2.

Karl Andrade scored both of their goals.

The soggy conditions led to the postponement of the division one south matches between Coggeshall United and Harwich (already rearranged for February 25), Fire United and Wivenhoe and Oakley and Halstead.

One game that did get the go-ahead was the contest between Hackney Wick and Holland FC, which finished 2-2.

Brightlingsea Regent Reserves were not scheduled to play on Saturday.