HARWICH AND PARKESTON teed up an intriguing League Challenge Cup tie against BRANTHAM ATHLETIC after knocking out WIVENHOE TOWN on an eventful night at the Gwinnell & Sons Royal Oak.

The Shrimpers made it three straight victories after an incident-packed 3-2 win on Tuesday.

In addition to the goals, there was also a missed penalty, a red card and both sides hit the woodwork.

Unfortunately, there was also an anxious finale as three players were involved in a sickening clash of heads.

After a delayed kick-off, Harwich took the lead when a goal-kick made its way through to Sean Bartlett.

The striker coolly slotted home from the right of the penalty area.

Wivenhoe levelled in spectacular style, following a curling free-kick from David Lopez.

But Harwich quickly regained their lead when Joe Knight connected with a free-kick from the right and sent a looping header over Dragons keeper Ben Gallifant.

Kieron Shelley's side had a golden chance to extend their lead before half-time when Gallifant raced out and sent Jordan Heath flying.

However, the Harwich striker's low penalty was easily saved.

The tie was evenly poised heading into the second period but it was the hosts who gave themselves a two-goal cushion, thanks to a slightly fortuitous goal from recent recruit Rory Harman.

The midfielder's cross-shot from the right sailed into the net over Gallifant.

Wivenhoe refused to wave the white flag and Tom Lakin threw them a lifeline with a calm finish after collecting a ball from Dean Merrett.

Harman then picked up his second booking in the latter stages and the match finished in unfortunate circumstances following a collision between the onrushing Lakin, Harwich keeper Brad Cook and defender Dan Clark.

All three courageously went to head a long through ball.

Lakin came off worse and had to be carried from the pitch on a stretcher.

He was taken to hospital but has since tweeted that he is OK.

Harwich will now travel to neighbours Brantham in the second round on October 22.

Elsewhere on Tuesday, LITTLE OAKLEY stormed into the next round after a 5-1 victory at home to Felixstowe and Walton United.

Luke Mayhew scored his first senior hat-trick and there were two goals for Harry Mann.

The Acorns will now be away to HALSTEAD TOWN - 5-4 conquerors of Cornard United - on October 22.

HOLLAND FC had been due to entertain Ipswich Wanderers but the tie was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch and has now been rescheduled for October 15.

The winners will be away to FC CLACTON.

In the Essex Senior Cup, STANWAY ROVERS ran out 2-1 winners at home to West Essex.

Joe Maybanks put them ahead before the visitors levelled early in the second half.

Milo Grimes then converted a late penalty for Rovers.