A five-star display from one of north Essex's promotion-chasing Bostik League sides gave an easy choice for this week's star performance award.

It came in division north where there are a trio of local clubs gearing up for a play-off push to be the one to join newly-crowned champions Bowers & Pitsea in going up to the premier division.

One of those is second-placed Maldon & Tiptree, but the Jammers were pegged back at Canvey Island in a 2-2 draw.

The Gulls drew first blood when Frankie Merrifield put them ahead in the fourth minute, but Liam Hope pulled Maldon level just 60 seconds later and Kojo Awotwi gave them the lead just before the hour mark.

However, a three-point haul was denied as Merrifield completed his brace on 67 minutes as the Jammers had to settle for a point.

Another of the north Essex trio chasing promotion is Heybridge Swifts, but they had a day to forget against fellow play-off candidates Aveley.

Swifts, who started the day sat fourth - one place behind their visitors - took the lead at Scraley Road when Emmanuel Osei-Owusu fired home in the 40th minute, but the advantage didn't last until half-time as Aveley cancelled it out before the break.

Jason Raad was the Aveley player who got the leveller and he proved a double thorn in Heybridge's side after the interval as he scored a second on 75 minutes to see the visitors to a 2-1 victory.

The result saw Heybridge drop to fifth and they were replaced in the top four by the side who claim the star performance award - Coggeshall Town.

The Seedgrowers pulled out the stops in securing an eye-catching result with a 5-1 win at Tilbury.

George Allen and Michael Gyasi were on target to give Coggeshall a 2-1 lead at half-time and a Ross Wall strike just after the restart and a Nnamdi Nwachuku double sealed the deal to move them above Swifts in the table.

However, there was further woe towards the other end of the table as third-from-bottom Witham Town were left looking ever more nervously over their shoulders at the relegation zone.

Witham were beaten 3-2 at Spa Road by Dereham Town.

The hosts took the lead with a goal from Siju Odelusi on seven minutes but an Adam Hipperson penalty and two Ryan Crisp strikes either side of half-time meant Dereham were on course for victory.

And although Odelusi netted a second for Witham with an 87th minute penalty, there was no late comeback and Town are now only three points outside the drop zone with three games remaining.

Meanwhile, in the premier division, there was late frustration for Brightlingsea Regent when they headed to Burgess Hill Town.

The R's had looked set for a three-point away-day haul as Jake Turner's 44th minute goal had them ahead as they game headed into the final spell, however, a 90th minute equaliser from Burgess Hill's Tommy Wood meant it was just one point that Regent returned with.