THERE was a milestone victory for one of the Gazette's Thurlow Nunn League sides as they recorded their first win since way back in October.

WIVENHOE TOWN ended their long wait for maximum points by pulling off a superb 2-1 victory at Frenford.

Josh Chapman and Angus Poole scored goals in either half of the first division south contest before the hosts pulled one back at the death.

The consolation strike was not enough to take the gloss off an excellent result for Gary Monti's side - their first win since defeating Newbury Park 3-2 in October.

It continued a bright start for the new Dragons boss, who had seen his team halt their losing run with a goalless draw at Burnham Ramblers last Saturday.

And once again, given the context, it was surely an outcome worthy of our star performance award - a result that will hopefully act as a springboard for the GMP Plant Hire Stadium side.

Elsewhere, HALSTEAD TOWN maintained their promotion push in first division south with an emphatic 5-1 victory at home to HOLLAND FC.

Liam Whipps gave them a tenth-minute lead and although Paul Benai equalised soon after, there was no stopping the Humbugs and they added further goals from Kane Munday, Chris Harris, Joe Morris and Jordan Pavett.

Halstead jumped to second in the table, leapfrogging White Ensign, who were inactive on Saturday.

They are six points behind leaders Hashtag United, who defeated basement boys Fire United 3-0.

LITTLE OAKLEY were also winners but by the narrower margin of 1-0, at home to Burnham.

BRAINTREE TOWN RESERVES drew 0-0 at Benfleet and that was also the score in the premier division contest between FC CLACTON and Hadleigh United.

The Thurlow Nunn League programme had begun on Friday night as HARWICH AND PARKESTON turned up the heat on the trio above them in first division south with a dramatic, gutsy 3-2 victory at BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT RESERVES.

Substitute Callum Griffith lashed home their winner in stoppage time at a soggy Taydal Stadium.

Harwich led at half-time after an unfortunate own goal ten minutes before the break.

Sean Mathurin’s low, right-wing cross, after a raking long pass from Harvey Cowler, was turned into his own net by Regent defender Hayden Dutch.

However, the game crackled into life early in the second half with three goals in a matter of minutes.

Charlie Gilbert seized on a poor back-pass by Harry Johnson and slotted past keeper Sam Felgate.

But Harwich regained their lead almost straight away when Jake Kioussis’ low, whipped-in cross from the left fell kindly for skipper Jordan Heath, who buried a simple chance from close range.

Regent’s heads might have dropped but instead they equalised for a second time soon after.

After pouncing on a misplaced pass, they pushed forward and substitute Charlie Lindoe fired past Felgate.

It looked like an exciting contest was going to finish all-square until the closing seconds, when Regent headed clear but only as far as Griffith.

The substitute cracked an unstoppable volley which arrowed into the net via the underside of the bar, sparking scenes of wild celebration in the Harwich camp.

Elsewhere on Friday, BRANTHAM ATHLETIC slid to a 4-2 defeat at home to premier division strugglers Long Melford.

The Imps’ goals were scored by Lamell Howell and George Clarke.