BRIGHTLINGSEA Regent bounced back to winning ways thanks to a hard-fought 2-0 victory against Kingstonian.

Josh Gould’s second-half header was followed by a late second from Michael Brothers in a tense Bostik League premier division clash at the Taydal Stadium.

It kept the hosts’ play-off dream alive as they made up ground on some of the sides above.

And it helped them get back on the victory trail after two defeats and a draw in their last three outings.

It was also their seventh win in nine matches at the Taydal Stadium.

Regent’s all-important opener came ten minutes into the second half.

Brothers looped in a cross from the left and Gould rose in a packed area to send a downward header spinning past keeper Rob Tolfrey.

Just before, Brothers had seen a low effort from the effort well-saved but, in truth, this was a game of relatively few chances.

The most noteworthy action of a niggly first half was condensed into a handful of minutes.

First, both keepers were called into action, starting with Tolfrey tipping over a thunderous, angled volley by Brothers, after a precision cross from Jake Gould.

From the corner, Kingstonian countered and Louie Theophanous’ tried his luck with a powerful low shot from the right that was saved by James Bradbrook.

The R’s shot-stopper was in the thick of the action again a couple of minutes later.

Regent skipper Matt Cripps was adjudged to have handled a free-kick pumped in from the left.

Referee Brett Grant pointed to the spot but Theophanous’ low penalty was saved by Bradbrook.

Both sides had efforts during a tense second half.

Jake Gould fired over for the hosts while Cripps reacted quickly to divert Theophanous’ goal-bound effort wide.

And Regent, who booked their place in the Tolleshunt D’Arcy Memorial Cup semi-final with a victory against Coggeshall Town on Tuesday, added their second five minutes from time thanks to a brilliant volleyed effort from the right by Brothers.

His effort flashed across goal and inside the far corner - despite a touch from Tolfrey - after latching onto a sublime ball forward by Jake Turner.

This was an important victory for Tom Rothery’s side – an outcome they will hope to repeat when Harlow Town visit the Taydal Stadium next Saturday.