Thurlow Nunn League

division one south

AFTER a fiercely-contested and tense match, Holland conceded a late penalty to finish empty-handed.

The match was an important mid-season fixture with both sides looking to end a poor run of form.

Holland struggled early on and opponents Burnham capitalised, picking up their first goal through captain Karl Swanboro.

The hosts then responded and star winger Jimmy Webb scored an outstanding goal from outside the box to make it 1-1.

Holland began to show the quality of football seen of them early in the season and they went close a couple of times.

However, Burnham's defence held firm.

At the other end, a mistake at the back allowed Swanboro to score his second for Ramblers.

Webb scored another goal for Holland - similar to his first - not long after Burnham’s second.

Holland continued to show their quality, producing more structured football and using the wings.

Players such as Webb and Sonny Bastone helping to revitalise the side and they were able to claim another goal after a great ball to Steve Eaton.

However, disaster struck as James Briggs - a new signing from Stansted - scored from an amazing free-kick conceded by Webb.

He curled the ball into the top corner, allowing Burnham to make it all-square at half-time.

After the sky began to darken, the pressure was on both teams as they knew it was their game to lose, with little splitting them apart.

With both sides having teams around them with games in hand, both needed a victory.

Burnham scored the first goal of the second half through Adekunle Adeyemi, following another mistake, this time from a corner.

Despite being behind, Holland still looked the stronger side and they eventually levelled after a header from captain Chris Ribchester.

With the score now 4-4, it was now or never for both Burnham and Holland.

The visitors' challenge appeared to have dwindled as the game progressed and this was very evident during the last 15 minutes.

However, in the closing stages, Holland committed a foul in the box and Burnham got a late penalty, which was converted by substitute Bradley Morgan.

Holland tried to rescue a point but Webb claimed another booking and was sent-off.

The game eventually finished 5-4, with the hosts moving down to tenth due to a 2-1 victory for Little Oakley against Wivenhoe Town.

Holland are still hunting for a win after their four-game run without a victory, stretching back to early December.

They head to Wivenhoe for their next match on Saturday.