A FAMILY were evacuated from their home after a chimney caught fire.

Essex Fire Service were called to Rectory Road, Grays at 1.16pm this afternoon after the chimney caught fire.

After arriving, fire crews evacuated the family as a precaution.

Firefighters used the ALP and chimney rods to extinguish the fire by 4.07pm.

The chimney suffered some fire and smoke damage.

A fire service spokesman said: "Most chimney fires are preventable. Regular inspection and cleaning of chimney flues will help prevent fires within chimneys. Keep your family and home safe by following our chimney safety advice:

  • Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood
  • Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed
  • Use a fire or spark guard
  • Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them
  • Inspect your chimney regularly - particularly in the roof space - to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks
  • Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves
  • Buy only suitable fuels. Using the wrong type of fuel on a liner will reduce the life of the liner considerably due to increased corrosion