A FIRE sprung up a property's loft space after an electric plug overheated.

Firefighters were called to a property in Halstead Road, Colchester, at about 11am on Wednesday morning.

On arrival they found the loft space, which had been converted into a bedroom, was on fire.

Crews managed to extinguish the blaze by 11.37am.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a plug which had overheated.

The loft space has been left badly damaged by the blaze.

Watch Manager Ian Ryder, from Colchester Fire Station, said: ‘Before you go out or go to bed, make sure to switch off any electrical items, they can malfunction at times and can overheat which causes fires.”

Electrical appliances, plugs and cables that are old or poorly wired can be a real danger in your home.

There are particular danger signs to look out for on all electrical items you have around your home.

If you think something needs fixing or changing do it straight away.

You can find advice about electrical safety at essex-fire.gov.uk.