AN off-duty police cadet launched into action after a driver smashed into FOUR vehicles and a wall before trying to escape.

Police officers started a pursuit of a black VW Golf after the driver failed to pull over when he was asked to do so.

Following a short chase, the car crashed into four vehicles before ploughing into the wall of a house in St John’s Road, Clacton.

Bricks were flung across the property’s garden and the badly damaged vehicle’s left tyre detached from the body of the car.

The driver is then said to have left the car before attempting to run off.

However, a young police cadet, 16, happened to be passing through the area at the time of the incident.

He started to follow a man, who was believed to be the driver of the car, and detained him.

A 19-year-old from St Osyth was arrested on suspicion of a number of offences, including on suspicion of dangerous driving and being found in possession of drugs.

A spokesman for Essex Police said: “A man has been arrested following an incident in Clacton.

“A car failed to stop for officers in St John’s Road and was then in collision with four other vehicles.

“A 19-year-old man from St Osyth was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, failing to stop for police, possession of class B or C drugs, driving without insurance and driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

“He has since been released under investigation.”

A resident, who has asked to not be named, witnessed the aftermath of the crashes and has praised the quick-thinking actions of the young police cadet.

He said: “I drove past with my mum shortly after it happened and we saw at least two badly damaged cars and obviously lots of police and onlookers.

“There were at least four police cars there, but we didn’t see any ambulances or anything like that.”

Denise Carlton, 46, of Holland-on-Sea, says her son Oliver Carlton, nine, was in the passenger seat of one of the four vehicles which was hit by the car.

Oliver was travelling with his dad Len Lishmund, 72, and the pair were on their way to pick up Denise from her flat to take her to work.

But after they failed to turn up or answer the phone, she realised that something was seriously wrong.

In the end Len picked up his mobile and told Denise they had been involved in a car crash, so she immediately rushed to the scene.

She said: “Oliver was in shock and screaming and crying down the phone.

“I was in sheer panic, so I got a taxi there straight away and they didn’t charge me the fee because of what was happening.

“I ran straight to Oliver and he was very upset and had a seatbelt mark on his neck.

“His dad was in total shock.

“The ambulance turned up quickly as well and checked Oliver over.

“I was so glad he was OK, but I have never felt so worried.

“It scared the life out of him.

“I am thankful my son and his dad were OK because it could have been awful.”

Both Oliver and Len have since visited the walk-in centre in Clacton and been diagnosed with whiplash as a result of the incident.