Dramatic twist as Clacton suffer agonising late loss



Suffolk Cup quarter-final

CLACTON suffered late heartache after seeing their lead slip at a soggy Vista Road.

The Seasiders were in a commanding position, thanks to two tries from Lee Amman, both converted by Kouros Kemp.

But the visitors stayed in contention and then grabbed a converted try of their own in the closing minutes.

Despite being disappointed by the outcome, Clacton skipper Jake Buxey was proud of his side’s performance and also their strong finish to 2013.

“It was an agonising defeat but a very good game,” said the Seasiders stalwart.

“We were missing key players, including our fly-half and scrum-half, and the conditions were very wet and challenging.

“But the boys did really well and I was more than happy with our performance.

“Woodbridge were a good side and they played very well, especially in the second half when they used the conditions to their advantage.

“Even though we lost, I’m still happy with the way we’ve ended the year.

“We won our last three Essex League division one fixtures, against East London, Dagenham and Writtle Wanderers.

“That moved us up to third in the table and this was another positive performance, albeit that it ended in defeat.”

After conceding a try, Clacton scored a converted try to nose 7-5 ahead.

Woodbridge then slotted over a penalty, just before half-time, to lead 8-7.

A pushover try and conversion put Clacton in front again, but the Suffolk side scored again to prolong their stay in this season’s Suffolk Cup.

During the course of the match, two home players spent time in the sin-bin and they were James Kelley and Scott Amman.

n Clacton resume their league fixtures on January 11, at home to Bancroft.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree