A father has warned others of consuming non-prescribed drugs after the tragic death of his 23-year-old daughter.

Erin Bushnell, from Grays, died in June this year after apparently taking a drug called Fentanyl in what her father, William Bushnell, has described as a “tragic accident”.

Mr Bushnell said that Erin, who suffered with mental health issues, died at home in her bed.

He added: “I came home from work on the Friday evening and I found that she had passed away.

“She was a very intelligent girl and unfortunately took her eyes off the ball on this one and paid the ultimate price – her life.”

Erin is believed to have bought what she thought was Xanax off the internet after she decided she was not happy with the medication and care she was receiving.

However, police believe the pack she bought was contaminated with Fentanyl that somehow led to her death but investigations are ongoing.

Now her father wants to warn others of the dangers of purchasing non-prescription drugs from unofficial sources.

He added: “I want to share Erin’s story in the hope that no one else has to go through this. Erin had never taken recreational drugs and always ate very healthily. This was a tragic accident.”

Mr Bushnell has since met with Thurrock MP, Jackie Doyle-Price, who said she would approach the Secretary of State about the issues he had raised with her.

A spokesperson for Essex Police said: “The death of a 23-year-old woman on June 23 is being treated as unexplained.

“A file has been prepared by the coroner. Investigations are ongoing.”

Fentanyl is an opiate-based pain killer which the National Crime Agency reported has killed 60 people in the UK in the last eight months.

Don't forget to like us on Facebook and Twitter