Clacton: Smoke and fumes force residents from their home

Councillor Nick Turner says council has dealt with the smoke problem

Councillor Nick Turner says council has dealt with the smoke problem

First published in News

AN elderly couple claim they are being forced out of their holiday park home by smoke and fumes from a nearby incinerator.

Julia and Bill Clancey, who live on Leisure Glades caravan park, on the Clacton and St Osyth border, say they have been plagued with problems.

Mrs Clancey, 75, said: “We keep complaining, but no-one will do anything about it.

“It’s forcing me out of my home. It’s absolutely black.

“It is so bad that sometimes you can’t see next door’s caravan. About a fortnight ago we were covered in thick black ash and had to sweep it away."

Mrs Clancey and husband Bill, 88, have lived at the park for two years with pet Staffie Oski.

They say the problem comes from a neighbouring property outside the park and often happens.

Tendring Council sent an officer to investigate after receiving a complaint last week.

Nick Turner, council cabinet member responsible for environment, said: “It was found a resident was burning kitchen cabinets and the officer decided it was causing a nuisance to others on the site.

“The person was informed of the situation and a notice was served on them by post on Friday. This will have taken effect on Tuesday and we hope the notice is adhered to.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree