Great Bentley bans Chinese lanterns over safety fears

Clacton and Frinton Gazette: Village outlaws Chinese lanterns for being fire threat Village outlaws Chinese lanterns for being fire threat

A VILLAGE has banned Chinese lanterns after they sparked safety fears.

Parish councillors in Great Bentley have outlawed the candle-powered lanterns which are often launched into the air at parties.

Local farmers pleaded for a ban after lanterns were let off from the village's famous green.

The council said the lights "floated dangerously over tinder-dry farmland" and were a fire hazard.

There are also fears that rusting wire from the lanterns could injure farm animals.

The council voted unanimously to ban their launch from its land.

Chairman Jonathan Hills said he hoped other councils and central government would follow their lead.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:41pm Wed 9 Jul 14

Mr Stork says...

Yeah that will work,NOT. Will the lantern police be called to deal if someone lights one? Agree they are a fire hazard but please GET REAL.How about we encourage lanterns to give light because poxy council switches the lights off after midnight.
Yeah that will work,NOT. Will the lantern police be called to deal if someone lights one? Agree they are a fire hazard but please GET REAL.How about we encourage lanterns to give light because poxy council switches the lights off after midnight. Mr Stork
  • Score: 6

10:37am Thu 10 Jul 14

Dave Bruce says...

Well done Great Bentley Parish Council! At last someone has seen sense and had the courage to ban these ridiculous objects!

Chinese lanterns can be downright dangerous and anyone who insists on using one because they claim it is their "right" is arrogant, ignorant and completely irresponsible.
Well done Great Bentley Parish Council! At last someone has seen sense and had the courage to ban these ridiculous objects! Chinese lanterns can be downright dangerous and anyone who insists on using one because they claim it is their "right" is arrogant, ignorant and completely irresponsible. Dave Bruce
  • Score: 2

1:50pm Thu 10 Jul 14

The Stinker Returns says...

They should be banned everywhere from sale and use. They cause HUGE problems with fires and harm to animals.
They should be banned everywhere from sale and use. They cause HUGE problems with fires and harm to animals. The Stinker Returns
  • Score: 2

10:15pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Misty4 says...

Well done and about time! I was driving home late one night when I saw two of these things - still lit - come down on farmland in St Osyth. I went over to investigate though luckily both were burning out as the grass was damp. Had it been dry weather it would undoubtedly have been a different story. It is not only the obvious fire risk with these things but the fact that the wire inside them can be ingested by livestock, with serious consequences. They are also dangerous around campsites, for obvious reasons. The sooner a nationwide ban is implemented, the better.
Well done and about time! I was driving home late one night when I saw two of these things - still lit - come down on farmland in St Osyth. I went over to investigate though luckily both were burning out as the grass was damp. Had it been dry weather it would undoubtedly have been a different story. It is not only the obvious fire risk with these things but the fact that the wire inside them can be ingested by livestock, with serious consequences. They are also dangerous around campsites, for obvious reasons. The sooner a nationwide ban is implemented, the better. Misty4
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree