Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Asbestos removed from site of homes destroyed in gas blast
3:59pm Monday 7th April 2014 in News
ASBESTOS has finally been removed from the site of two homes destroyed by an explosion in Clacton
Work began to clear the site in Cloes Lane three weeks ago, following the explosion in February.
Rose Builders from Lawford carried out the majority of the scheme and a specialist team was brought in to deal with the asbestos.
Residents from the two properties went through all the personal items retrieved from the debris and took away what they wanted to keep.
Nigel Brown, Tendring Council’s communications manager, said that among the salvaged possessions were passports, a military blazer and tie, papers, books and even a £10 note.
“One of the residents quite understandably found it particularly emotional to go back to what had been their home and sift through their items,” he said.
“They took those things that were of particular importance to them and then the rest will be disposed of in due course.”