DOG owners are being warned to ensure their pets are vaccinated after a stray puppy tested positive for a highly contagious disease in Clacton.
A Staffordshire bull terrier, thought to be only a few months old, was picked up by dog wardens.
They said the animal was clearly unwell and took it to a vet after it showed some symptoms of parvovirus which are vomiting and diarrhoea, lethargy, and sometimes a fever.
Tendring Council’s dog wardens are now urging dog owners in the district to ensure that their dogs’ vaccinations are up to date.
The virus is transmitted by oral contact with infected faeces and can be carried on the dog’s hair and feet, as well as on contaminated shoes and other objects.
Parvovirus can affect dogs of all ages, but most cases occur in puppies aged from six to 20 weeks.