Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Tendring: Petition launched to force streetlight u-turn
2:00pm Monday 31st March 2014 in News
RESIDENTS have launched a petition to pile pressure on county councillors in a bid to get streetlights switched back on.
Essex County Council now switches off the majority of lights in Tendring between midnight and 5am to save cash and cut carbon emissions.
But upset residents say the move has made Clacton and the surrounding areas more dangerous.
They want some lights to be exempt from the switch-off and kept on through the night to make Tendring safer.
A petition has been launched to gather support for the cause.
Petitions have already been placed at several shops around Tendring and more are being distributed to cover the remaining areas.
An Essex County Council spokesman said the council will carefully consider considered information from local residents as to the lights they believe meet the exemption criteria.
Petitions available at:
- The Olde Sweetshop, Pier Avenue, Clacton
- Geo’s Fish Bar, West Avenue, Clacton
- N Tyce Nails, Rosemary Road, Clacton
- Swan Taxis, Rosemary Road, Clacton
- Wool Cabin, High Street, Clacton
- Post Office, High Street, Clacton
- Lulu’s Tattoo, West Avenue, Clacton
- Premier Grill, Coopers Lane, Clacton
- Dot’s newsagents, Broadway, Jaywick
- Post Office, Beach Way, Jaywick
- Tudor Store, Tudor Parade, Jaywick
- Seawick Holiday Park, St Osyth
- Kings Avenue Post Office, Holland-on-Sea
- Post Office, Stratford Road, Holland-on-Sea
- Co-op, Frinton Road, Holland-on-Sea
- Co-op, Coopers Lane, Holland-on-Sea