Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Defendants will not give evidence in Jay Whiston murder trial
Updated 9:55am Friday 21st March 2014 in News
A TEENAGER accused of a fatal stabbing at a party will not to give evidence at his trial.
A jury heard the youth's father, brother and former girlfriend have also decided not to go into the witness box to give evidence.
Teenager Edward Redman denies murdering Clacton student Jay Whiston at the party in Colchester.
His father Gary, brother John and former partner Shannon Fenlon deny conspiring to pervert the course of justice in connection with the alleged murder.
Chelmsford Crown Court has heard 17-year-old Jay suffered a fatal stab wound to his heart after trouble flared at the party in September 2012.
Prosecutor Mark Milliken-Smith QC closed the prosecution case on Wednesday afternoon.
Edward Redman's barrister told the jury he would not be calling any evidence on behalf of his client.
Similar moves were made by barristers for Gary Redman, John Redman and Fenlon.
Trial Judge Charles Gratwicke heard the defendants had been told of the possible consequences of not giving evidence.
The judge added: "In that case, the jury may draw such inferences as they see fit in the case of each defendant."
The next stage of the trial will involve closing speeches by the prosecution and defence.
Legal submssioins are being made in court today.
Speeches and the summing up of the evidence by the judge will start on Tuesday.
The jury is expected to be sent out to consider their verdicts the following week.
The trial continues.