£2million Jaywick regeneration project cut because it was "no longer relevant" (From Clacton and Frinton Gazette)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
£2million Jaywick regeneration project cut because it was "no longer relevant"
6:00pm Thursday 13th March 2014 in News
A £2MILLION fund to help regenerate the most deprived ward in the country was cut because a scheme to bulldoze homes was “no longer relevant”, it has been revealed.
The money was earmarked for the demolition of sub-standard properties in Jaywick six years ago.
But last month residents and councillors were left angry after it was revealed that Essex County Council had slashed funding to just £84,500.
Ward councillor Dan Casey said: “To say the money we need is no longer relevant makes it sound like they have solved the issues in Jaywick – they clearly haven’t.
“Successive council administrations have failed Jaywick since the 1950s – we need massive investment."
An Essex County Council spokesman said: “The original £2million was set aside to fund the removal of old unwanted housing stock to create more green space, improve visibility and access for people, help reduce the perception of crime and offer opportunities for redevelopment.
“However, as the project evolved it was decided planning policy could offer more freedom and flexibility to aid regeneration through a development-led approach by Tendring Council and Essex County Council’s original funding offer was no longer of relevance.
“It instead agreed to fund specific road, lighting and drainage improvements associated with these projects estimated to cost £84,500."