Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Clacton: Mould problem makes family's lives a misery
10:00am Wednesday 30th October 2013 in News
A DISABLED man has hit out after mistakes in a major alteration to his home caused a massive mould problem.
Gerald May, 56, of Great Clacton, received a grant from Tendring Council to adapt his home and make it more handicap-friendly.
Mr May struggles with mobility problems due to arthritis issues and the after-effects of knee surgery, and needed a downstairs bedroom and a wet room created.
He was handed the grant in May 2012, when housing company Swan took charge of the project.
But the scheme was subject to long delays, and when the extension was finally completed it was discovered a mistake had been made.
No ventilation had been installed and the room developed a serious mould problem, covering the furniture in green fungus and creating a bad smell.
Mr May said: “The whole thing has been a joke, a real comedy of errors.
"We have got grandchildren and we can’t even have them over to our own house because this is a health hazard. It’s disgusting.”
The build was completed five months ago and the problem has not yet been fixed.
The project was overseen through Swan housing’s Care and Repair scheme.
A spokesman said: "Swan is working with Mr May to ensure that the issues in his property are fully addressed, using the support of a specialist contractor.
“Ventilation has now been provided, and a dehumidifier will be supplied to help prepare the walls for repainting.
“Once dried, the walls will be repainted and laminate flooring will be replaced. These works will be carried out at no cost to Mr May.
“We are also working with Tendring District Council to assess any further damage and find a suitable solution.
“We very much hope to avoid any further inconvenience for Mr May, and to address his concerns as quickly as possible.”