Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Farmer left devestated following barn fire
3:00pm Saturday 7th September 2013 in News
A FARMER said he has been left devastated after a blaze destroyed two Grade II listed barns in Walton.
Four fire crews were called to the barn, which was being used as a workshop, in Old Hall Lane at 3pm last Wednesday.
The barn was being used at the time by a mechanic, who spilled petrol while working on a car.
The fire service said he did not clean up the spill especially well and the blaze started when he jump-started the car and a spark came into contact with the petrol fumes.
The mechanic was taken to Colchester General Hospital after suffering a minor injury during the incident and was later discharged after treatment.
Mr Eagle said: “It is all very depressing – it has completely written off two of the cattle sheds. The third one has 40 per cent damage and the roof is blackened. I don’t know what we are going to do.
“The buildings were not insured as to reinsure them this year we would have had to make significant structural repairs, which were uneconomic.
“They are Grade II listed buildings and are quite significant in the landscape and date from the 19th century. To replace listed buildings is a significant job.
“It could have been a lot worse – the fire service did a really good job.”
Fire service assistant divisional officer Mark Turnbull, who investigated the cause of the fire, added: “If anyone spills fuel, they should clear it up as well as they can and immediately open all the doors and windows they can to allow the fumes to escape.”