Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Community rallies to help couple left homeless after blaze
7:30am Friday 6th September 2013 in News
VILLAGERS have banded together to raise cash for an elderly couple after their house and belongings were destroyed in a massive fire.
John and Gillian Robinson escaped the blaze unharmed, but their home on Thorpe High Street was badly damaged.
The flames broke out in an upstairs bedroom at the back of the house at about 9pm on Saturday and quickly spread throughout the building.
John, a retired reverend, said: “The whole thing has been a big shock and to be honest I think we are still in shock. You spend your life building up belongings and it is frightening how quickly it can all vanish."
Firefighters tackled the flames for more than seven hours, eventually extinguishing it at about 5am on Sunday morning.
A group of residents, who volunteer to run children’s events in the town, have stepped forward to raise cash for the couple.
Anyone who would like to donate money can do so at Harry’s Bar, The Bell or Versatile in High Street.
Comments are closed on this article.