Couple take company to court after suffering the holiday from hell (From Clacton and Frinton Gazette)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Clacton: Couple take company to court after suffering the holiday from hell
9:00am Friday 8th February 2013 in News
A CLACTON couple are taking a travel company to court after being hospitalised by illness in the holiday from hell.
Dennis and Margaret Wood booked the two-week holiday to celebrate their 40th anniversary in March 2011.
But they both fell ill while staying at the Gran Bahia hotel, suffering from stomach pains, diarrhoea and nausea.
Dennis had to be rushed to hospital, where he stayed for five days, and the couple say they are still suffering symptoms from the illness almost two years later.
They are taking legal action against TUI Travel, trading as First Choice.
Mr Wood said: “We had been looking forward to the holiday for months.
“We wanted to relax and enjoy each other’s company on the beautiful island to celebrate our anniversary, but it was ruined by the illness.
“The illness has had a huge impact on my life. I’m not as fit as I used to be since the holiday and when I get up I never know if I will be fit enough to do the tasks I’ve planned for the day.”
Mr Wood said he was unhappy with the condition of the sink in their room or the way food was handled at the hotel.
The couple have now launched legal action in a bid for compensation using Irwin Mitchell Solicitors.
A First Choice spokesman said: “We are sorry to hear that Mr and Mrs Wood did not enjoy their holiday experience.
“As the matter in question is currently subject to a legal process, it would be inappropriate for us to comment any further at this time.”