Campaigners celebrate victory following petition to cut speed limit (From Clacton and Frinton Gazette)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CFGNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Campaigners celebrate victory following petition to cut speed limit
9:00am Friday 16th November 2012 in News
CAMPAIGNERS are celebrating after highways bosses confirmed the speed limit outside a village primary school will be cut following the death of an elderly pedestrian.
More than 800 people signed a petition calling for the speed limit outside St Andrew’s Primary School in Weeley to be cut from 40mph to 30mph.
The campaign was launched after Ruth Smith, 82, died following a crash involving a Vauxhall Vectra, in Clacton Road, on January 20.
County councillor Mick Skeels presented the petition to highways chiefs earlier this year. He has now been told the speed limit will be reduced to 30mph in the New Year.
Mr Skeels said: “I’m absolutely over the moon as even the lollipop lady at the school has tried over the years to get the speed limit lowered.
“The road is extremely dangerous and people come off the crematorium roundabout and put their foot down – they can be doing 60 or 70mph when they get to the school, where the kids are crossing.”
“Four people have died there over the years. The latest was Ruth Smith in January, which was such a shame because she was a fit and healthy lady.”
He added: “It has been a lot of hard work to get the speed limit changed - I don’t think people realise the hoops that have to be jumped through and then legislation that has to be gone through.”
County Hall highways bosses say the scheme should be implemented in the New Year.”
Mr Skeels thanked those who helped collected signatures, including former school PTA chairman Louise Goodwin.
Headteacher Ruth Slater said: “We are absolutely thrilled. All the hard work put in by a lot of members of the community, parents and children has paid off. This will make things much safer for them.
“I’m grateful to everybody who has taken the time and effort to help the campaign.”
A county council spokesperson said a consultation process will still take place.