A COUPLE who suffered severe burns following a gas blast in Clacton have thanked the rescuers who came to their aid.

Hela and David Davies were rushed to hospital following the explosion in Cloes Lane on February 5.

The blast destroyed their home and most of the neighbouring semi-detached house as well as injuring another eight people.

Mr Davies, 76, who spent several weeks in hospital, said: “I would like to thank everyone who has helped, from those passing by who rushed to our aid to the emergency services.

“We would also like to thank those who donated items and money for the appeal.

“We are feeling okay now and have moved into our new home.

“We are recovering and looking forward to getting life back to normal.”

The couple suffered arm, leg and head injuries in the explosion and were treated at Chelmsford’s Broomfield Hospital, which has a specialist burns unit.